Carter Bells was created on 1st May 1999 when Bells and George Carter & Co merged to become Carter Bells Solicitors.
Bells was founded in November 1858 when Mr James Bell, the son of a Scottish Doctor, became Clerk to the Kingston County Magistrate Bench and opened an office at 13 High Street, Kingston, practising under the style of ‘James Bell Solicitor’. He was joined by his two sons, Francis James and John Sackville in 1890, and the practice became known as Bells Solicitors.
Bells Solicitors merged with another well-established Kingston firm, Sherrard & Sons, in 1963, and became known as Bell & Sherrard, moving from the High Street to Clarence Street. Following other mergers, the firm’s name reverted to Bells in 1974 and four years later the practice moved to Eagle Chambers in Eden Street.
George Carter and Co first came into existence in 1912, when George Carter left the partnership of Durham Carter & Durham, also based in Kingston, and started his own business. The firm commenced trading in Clarence Street and moved to Kings’ Stone House in 1947. In the mid-1920s a branch office was opened in London, but by the early 1970s the two firms became distinct practices.
Carter Bells is a modern law firm focussed on meeting its clients’ needs holding both Investors in People accreditation and ISO 9001 accreditation for its systems.
Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, http://www.sra.org.uk
Registration No. OC316899
A list of the Members may be seen at the registered office: 12 High Street, Kingston Upon Thames, KT1 1HD
Where we refer to Members, this is synonymous with Partner
Providing legal advice since 1858
Kings' Stone House
12 High Street
Kingston Upon Thames
DX: 31505 KINGSTON
Tel: 020 8939 4000
Fax: 020 8939 4003