What to do if ‘Judgment in Default’ is obtained against you - Setting aside a court judgment

Where a party does not respond to a Court Claim form (by acknowledging service of the Claim – see above) it is open to the Claimant to have Judgment entered against the other party. The Defendant then is left with having to pay the Judgment or to try to overturn that Judgment by showing that there are reasonable prospects of successfully defending the Claim. That Application needs to be made promptly. However, there is much interpretation as to what ‘promptly’ actually means.

If you are in any doubt as to what action you should take and when to do so, you should contact our Dispute Resolution/Litigation team.

We are able to provide advice regarding all the above including enforcement of Judgments or advising on whether the Court may reach a decision to set aside a judgment.

If you have any queries regarding the above please do not hesitate to contact our Litigation department. Call our reception on 020 8939 4000 Monday to Friday 09:00 to 17:30.


Solicitors for your home, your family, your business