Will writing and personal

Lasting Powers of Attorney

Lasting powers of attorney, appointment of a deputy by the court of protection and management of an individual’s financial affairs

As people are living longer, many of us are faced with the knowledge that one day we may be unable to manage our own financial affairs. Be this due to infirmity, ill health, or loss of memory. This can be frightening and confusing for that person and those who care for that loved one. If an individual were to become mentally or physically incapable of managing their own financial affairs, a loved one (whether a spouse or adult child) would not be able to sign documents on behalf of that individual without the appropriate legal authority.

It is therefore recommended before such problems arise to protect the position by completing a Lasting Power of Attorney to one or more trusted family members or close friends or professional persons so that if the individual were to become mentally or physically unable to manage their own financial affairs during their lifetime, the Attorney or Attorneys appointed by the individual would then be able to take over managing that person’s financial affairs.

If a Lasting Power of Attorney were not granted and if an individual became mentally incapable of managing their financial affairs, it may be necessary to make an application to the Court of Protection for the appointment of a Deputy to manage that individual’s financial affairs. An application to the Court for the appointment of a Deputy would involve considerable legal expense and would also be very time consuming and it would therefore be preferable for an Attorney to be appointed in order to avoid the need to make an application to the Court of Protection for the appointment of a Deputy.

If it is necessary to make application to the Court of Protection for the appointment of a Deputy, we can of course always provide you with the appropriate advice and assistance and deal with the application on your behalf.

For those clients who do not have family members or friends able to manage their financial affairs on their behalf, Carter Bells can act as your Attorneys and manage your financial affairs on your behalf.

It is also possible to enter into a Health and Welfare Power of Attorney to set out your wishes regarding future health care and treatment if you should become ill and giving those who you trust authority to take decisions regarding your personal health and welfare.

Other Services

Full directory of our services

Business Development

  • Business premises
  • Commercial loans
  • Commercial loans
  • Company law
  • Licensing
  • Restraint of trade
  • Partnership agreements
  • Sale of goods
  • Starting a business

Commercial Property

  • Commercial conveyancing
  • Landlord and tenant
  • Restrictive covenants
  • Long leases
  • Tenancy agreements

Dispute Resolution

  • Alternative Dispute Resolution
  • Adverse possession of land
  • Agency work (County Court)
  • Boundary disputes
  • Breach of covenant
  • Charging Order Applications
  • Civil litigation
  • Civil Procedure
  • Cohabitation disputes
  • Commercial disputes
  • Company disputes
  • Consumer issues
  • Contact disputes
  • Contentious costs
  • Contentious probate
  • Contract disputes
  • County Court procedure
  • Debt recovery
  • Equitable remedies
  • Enforcement
  • Estoppel rights
  • Exclusion clauses
  • Fraud (Civil Proceedings)
  • Ground Rent Recovery
  • Harassment
  • Inheritance Act claims
  • Injunction proceedings
  • Insurance claims
  • Interim remedies
  • Judicial review
  • Land disputes
  • Landlord & tenant disputes
  • Judicial review2

Family and Matrimonial

  • Adoption
  • Child Abduction
  • Child Support
  • Divorce
  • Prohibited Steps Orders
  • Children Applications
  • Relationship breakdowns
  • Civil Partnership
  • Cohabitation agreements
  • Collaborative law
  • Contact Applications
  • Family law
  • Maintenance orders
  • Matrimonial disputes
  • Nullity proceedings
  • Parental Responsibility agreements
  • Paternity disputes
  • Post-nuptial agreements
  • Pre-nuptial agreements
  • Residence Orders
  • Private law children
  • Separation Deeds

Residential Property

  • Buy to Let
  • Services and pricing Residential Property
  • Conveyancing
  • Co-ownership
  • Land Registration
  • Leasehold enfranchisement
  • Leasehold extensions
  • Mortgage registration
  • Multiple occupation rights
  • Settled Land
  • Settlement property
  • Shared Ownership

Wills and Personal

  • Administration of Estates
  • Court of Protection
  • Inheritance tax issues
  • Making a Will
  • Management of personal affairs
  • Lasting Powers of Attorney
  • Notary Public
  • Probate
  • Resulting Trusts
  • Trusts
  • Wardship
  • Wills

Solicitors for your home, your family, your business